Moores Mill Dental
When you hear this word in our office, it is most likely that we are talking about your wisdom teeth. And while we know that it may sound scary to have “impacted wisdom teeth”, we want you to know that, actually, it is very common.
What are impacted wisdom teeth?
Throughout evolutionary history, human mouths (jaws) have become increasingly smaller. While the jaws have gotten smaller, the amount of teeth we have has not. So now we have the same amount of teeth squeezing into a smaller space. Because wisdom teeth are the last to erupt, they often become impacted – that is, blocked by the other teeth around them. Often they are growing in sideways or unable to erupt through the gums at all due to crowding.
Why do wisdom teeth need removal?
The inability to erupt properly means that wisdom teeth can cause a lot of pain and even become infected down the road. This is the main reason that we recommend the removal of all third molars (another name for wisdom teeth). The reason that we remove them during the teen years is that the bone is still soft and recovery from the surgery is taken by the patient much better at this age. If we were to wait, your teeth may become infected, your bite crooked, and it may be too late at some point for us to take them out.
Types of Impaction:
- Vertical Impaction – In this case, the tooth is unable to break through the gum line. Vertical impaction is very common.
- Mesioangular Impaction – Angled toward the front of the mouth, the tooth is probably pushing on its neighbor, causing pain and crowding. This type of impaction is also very common.
- Distoangular Impaction – This tooth is angled toward the rear of the mouth, it is uncommon.
- Horizontal Impaction – In this case, the tooth is a complete 90 degrees from where it should be, and is likely growing into the roots of its neighboring tooth. This is very rare.
What is the removal procedure like?
You will be completely pain-free during the surgery, which takes just about an hour. You will also be sent home with instructions for pain management, eating and rest orders.
What is recovery like?
You will recover comfortably at home. You can start drinking liquids and soft foods as soon as you feel ready, but should avoid crunchy foods, extra hot or cold items, and straws (NO STRAWS!). You can expect to resume some of your normal activities a few days post-operation.
If you have any questions about wisdom teeth removal or aren’t sure if you even need the procedure, give us a call at Atlanta Office Phone Number 404-351-5200!
So, we have to ask: How is your smile looking today?
Let’s face it, in today’s world, men and women will likely work for more employers over the course of their career than at any other time in history. Long gone are the days where people work for the same employer, climbing the ladder toward retirement. The modern worker knows that he must constantly adapt his skills, and possibly even his personal appearance, to stay in the game. Often, that work starts in the orthodontist office.
More and more men these days are choosing Invisalign® clear aligner orthodontic treatment to get their smile in tiptop shape. After all, first impressions in the business world are, indeed, everything.
Invisalign®: What Men Love
- Discreet Meetings: By far one the most appealing aspects of Invisalign® is the fact that it provides orthodontic treatment that goes nearly undetectable while in progress. This means that you can go to those meetings and no one will know from across even a small board-room table that you are in the process of aligning your smile.
- Safety in Numbers: Even if someone does notice, you can rest assured that you are in good company. With so many adults, including men, choosing clear braces to fix decades-old smile issues, you will still “fit in”.
- Convenience: Invisalign® can be removed for eating and brushing.
- Length of Treatment: Most cases require just 12-18 months of treatment.
- Compatible with Your Personal Life: Because it is removable, Invisalign® encourages you to continue on with your personal life as planned and without restrictions.
- Confidence: A great smile projects your worth, both in the professional and social realms. You may just land that promotion or dream job when you flash a bright, handsome smile that exudes confidence.
If you’d like to find out about the cost of Invisalign® and whether you are a good candidate, please give us a call at Atlanta Office Phone Number 404-351-5200!
Our blog has recently been set up. Please check back soon!